تعديل

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

iPhone running companion: Can the Samsung Gear S3 beat the Apple Watch Series 2?

Samsung's long-awaited release of an iOS app for its Gear S watches was finally released this weekend. I took the Gear S3 Frontier and Apple Watch Series 2 for a run in the freezing cold weather to see if one stood out from the other.

As a runner and a mobile device fan, you will always find at least one wearable on my wrist to track the details of each and every run. While the Garmin Fenix 3 HR provides the most comprehensive data experience, I am also a fan of smartwatches that help me triage email, communicate with people, and aid in my quest for a healthy lifestyle.
The original Apple Watch was my favorite Apple device, and the Apple Watch Series 2 offers an even better experience for runners. I'm training for my first full marathon, and the Apple Watch is my prime candidate to help me achieve my goals.

I previously tested a leaked beta of the iOS Samsung Gear S application but couldn't wait to finally see the official release of Samsung Gear S for the Gear S2, Gear S3, and Gear Fit2 devices. I installed the new iOS app, connected my Gear S3 Frontier, attempted to load up some music, and took it and the Apple Watch Series 2 for a short run on the icy sidewalks of Puyallup, Wash.A couple months ago, I purchased the fantastic Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, with the idea it would serve as my primary GPS sports watch due to the more open nature of S Health and integrated LTE that would allow me to call for help in an emergency.
ZDNet's Jason Cipriani is working on a full walkthrough of using an iPhone with the Samsung Gear S application, so stay tuned for all of those details. I am particularly concerned about the ability to use the Gear S3 Frontier with an iPhone for GPS run tracking and motivation, so let's take a closer look at just that experience.

SETTING UP THE GEAR S3 FRONTIER AND IPHONE

If you have an iPhone and a Gear S2, S3, or Gear Fit2, then you can download and install the new Samsung Gear S app from the App Store. Connections are acknowledged on the iPhone and Gear S3. You have to pair up twice to the iPhone if you want to use your Gear S3 to initiate calls through your iPhone.

RUNNING WITH THE GEAR S3



















Given that the Gear S3 runs Tizen, the app gap is a real issue on the smartwatch. You won't find RunKeeper, Strava, or other popular run tracking apps on the platform. Thankfully, Samsung has opened up S Health to work with connected services like RunKeeper, Strava, Misfit, Jawbone, and Fitbit. Sadly, this is not available for iOS users.
Thus, you are limited to using the S Health app for run tracking, so open up the exercise module, choose running as your activity, and get going. The Gear S3 Frontier is a solid GPS sports watch with the ability to simply spin the bezel around to switch between status screens and see all of your captured data as you run. This beats the Apple Watch touchscreen or crown twist experience and is one reason I was excited about the possibility of using the Gear S3 with an iPhone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Each new And sexy

This blogger Publishes All New And Exciting And Strange